From the horse’s mouth
Puszta Plains Trail
- Comfortable accommodation (including sauna and jacuzzi)
- Warm Hungarian hospitality
- Visit Kiskinsag national park, a UNESCO world heritage site.
- Pass traditional farms and admire the local Magyar riders at work
- Hungarian food and wine
Day 1 1: LONDON - BUDAPEST - PUSZTA - No ridingMaya's FarmFlights to Budapest are not included. You should arrive between 1:30 pm and 5:30 pm if possible.
You will be transferred from the airport to the farm. Transfers to/from the airport are included, but you may require a private transfer if you arrive late. At the farm you will be met by your guide who will show you around and talk to you about your ability and horse preferences.
Dinner and night at the farm.
Day 2 2: RIDING ON THE FARM - 2 hours ridingMaya's FarmAfter breakfast you will be introduced to your horse before setting of for an introductory ride of couple of hour to another farm and return. This is your first chance to glimpse your beautiful surroundings. You will have lunch and then the afternoon is free to relax or explore the farm.
Dinner and overnight at the farm.
Day 3 3 : FARM - PUSZTA PLAINS - 4-5 hours ridingAfter breakfast, riding for two hours across the plains until reaching a charming traditional farmhouse where you stop for lunch. The farm animals will roam freely around you!
In the afternoon continue riding until reaching your accommodation for the night.
Day 4 4: PUSZTA PLAINS - 5,5 hours ridingSarlopuszta hotelToday is your longest day of riding as you spend almost 5 hours in the saddle. Cross the pristine landscape of the national park - vast meadows, sandy hills and forests where you may spot wild boar, birds of prey, rabbits and deer, Your lunch is taken by a fishing lake.
Dinner and overnight at a hotel in the plains, where you stay for two nights.
Day 5 5: PUSZTA PLAINS - 2-4 hours ridingSarlopuszta hotelIn the morning you ride for two hours to discover the beautiful countryside surrounding the hotel.
In the afternoon you can choose to ride again, exploring the woods on the property, or you can opt to utilise some of the hotels luxurious facilities - outdoor pool, sauna, quad, adventure course, massage etc. In the summer months the afternoons can be hot and so the afternoons are devoted to relaxation.
Day 6 6: PUSZTA PLAINS - FARM - 4-5 hours ridingRed CastleToday you ride back to the farm and the pace increases as you cross terrain which is ideal for longer canters! Stop for lunch en-route at the Red Castle before continuing onto the farm.
You will then be transferred back to the Red Castle for a night of wine, music, dinner and ambience.
Day 7 7: RIDING ON THE FARM - 3-4 hours ridingMaya's FarmTransfer back to the farm in the morning and set out riding across the farmlands. Lunch will be taken during the day before returning to the farm in the afternoonfor dinner.
If you prefer then you can be transferred to Budapest in the afternoon to spend a night there - dinner will be to your own account and we will book you a night at either hotel Corvin or hotel Sissy (depending on availability).
Day 8 8: BUDAPEST - LONDON - No ridingAfter breakfast you are transferred back to Budapest for your flight home. Your flight should leave between 7:30 am and 11:00 am. If it departs later you may have to wait at the airport and pay for a private transfer.
If your flight is late in the day then you can be dropped in the city and explore for the afternoon. A taxi to the airport will cost c. 20 euro
Dates & prices
- Rates are per person, based on two riders sharing a double or twin room.
- Groups are composed of a minimum of 3 international riders and a maximum of 7 riders, plus guides.
- Please note: the ride will also confirm for 2 riders on payment of a supplement of c. €140/£120 per person (not available in September and October, when groups must be of a minimum of 3 riders). Once the group has reached 3 people, we will remove this supplement from your invoice and refund you if you have already paid it.
- Transfers to and from Budapest airport at set times are included. The times for arrival pick-up should be between 2:00-6:00 pm and for departure 7.30-11 am. Private transfers and transfers to/from the city centre are possible on request.
- If you sign up to the ride as a solo rider and there are no other riders likely to share your room, you will be charged a single room supplement of approx. €90/£80. You will then be reimbursed if a sharer is found for you at a later date.
- Non-riders are welcome and benefit from a €450/£400 discount.
- Accompanied children 12 years and older are welcome
- You can choose to spend the last night of the trip in Budapest for a supplement (around €30/£25 per person). Please contact us.
The itinerary may be modified at anytime for security reasons, meteorological or events beyond our control such as blocked roads, rivers in flood, drought, strikes and local holidays. Equus Journeys, our local partners and their local guides will always strive to find the best solution and will alter the itinerary as needed.
The names of the hotels and accommodation are given for information only and depending on availability, they may be modified without notice and replaced by another of a similar standard.
1 horse equipped with saddle and bridle
Price doesn't include
International flights can be booked upon request
Small group supplement. See above for price details
September - October 2020
Departure Return Price without flights Price including flights Status 03/10/2020 10/10/2020 £1,080 Open Book now 17/10/2020 24/10/2020 £1,080 Open Book now 24/10/2020 31/10/2020 £1,080 Open Book now
March - April 2021
Departure Return Price without flights Price including flights Status 17/04/2021 24/04/2021 £1,080 Open Book now
May - June 2021
Departure Return Price without flights Price including flights Status 08/05/2021 15/05/2021 £1,080 Open Book now 22/05/2021 29/05/2021 £1,080 Open Book now 05/06/2021 12/06/2021 £1,080 Open Book now 12/06/2021 19/06/2021 £1,080 Open Book now
July - August 2021
Departure Return Price without flights Price including flights Status 03/07/2021 10/07/2021 £1,080 Open Book now 31/07/2021 07/08/2021 £1,080 Open Book now
September - October 2021
Departure Return Price without flights Price including flights Status 04/09/2021 11/09/2021 £1,080 Open Book now 11/09/2021 18/09/2021 £1,080 Open Book now 02/10/2021 09/10/2021 £1,080 Open Book now 09/10/2021 16/10/2021 £1,080 Open Book now 23/10/2021 30/10/2021 £1,080 Open Book now
Minimum riding ability
Minimum riding ability
There is a maximum weight limit of 100kg but riders over 85kg must be excellent riders.
Tacking ability and participation
Trip conditions and Requested experience
Previous experience of a trail ride lasting several days is an advantage but not essential.
Saddlebags and seat savers are not provided.
We recommend our riders to wear a helmet to the correct standard and you should bring your own to ensure a proper fit
3 nights in hotels (some with swimming pools)
1 night in a castle
Water is included throughout. Extra drinks and beverages are not included but can be purchased locally.
Guide and local team
- Equus Journeys strongly recommend that you wear a riding helmet and that you take your own to ensure a correct fit. There are many lightweight options available nowadays.
- Sunhat for when not riding
- Sunglasses - with a cord attached so they don't fly off when riding
- Buff or bandana
- Thermals (long or short sleeved)
- Long sleeved shirts provide protection from the sun and add an extra layer
- Lightweight fleece or jumper
- Warm fleece or jumper (and a spare in case one gets wet)
- Warm and waterproof jacket - it can rain at any time of year and the evenings can be particularly cold
- Lightweight, comfortable riding trousers or jodhpurs - we recommend riding in them at home before taking them on holiday to ensure they don't rub
- Casual trousers for the evenings, such as jeans or tracksuit bottoms
- Waterproof over trousers
Hands and Feet
- Comfortable riding boots. We recommend short boots with half chaps.
- Trainers or equivalent light shoes for the evenings
- Several pairs of socks
- Gloves - your hands are particularly exposed to the sun, cold or rain whilst riding. Waterproof gloves can be particularly useful
Other useful items
- A soothing cream to alleviate any areas irritated by long days spent in the saddle
- Camera and high capacity memory card. Spare battery
- Bumbag for carrying your camera and small items whilst riding
- Water bottle
- Swiss army knife (or equivalent)
- Ear plugs (for light sleepers)
- Any medication you regularly take
- Sunscreen and lip balm - should be high factor
- Insect repellent, preferably containing deet
- Blister plasters in case of any rubs
- Antiseptic cream, plasters, aspirin, anti-histamine, insect-bite salve etc...
- Spare prescription glasses/contact lenses
- Eye drops
- Imodium or similar anti-diarrhoea medication
- Re-hydration sachets
- Antiseptic wipes
- Handwash gel
- We recommend taking a copy of your passport and insurance documents with you in case you lose your originals
- Backpacks cannot be worn whilst riding. We recommend a small bumbag or a coat with pockets so that you can carry small items with you during the day (passport, camera, sunscreen, lipbalm etc)
- We recommend travelling in your riding boots and carrying your hat and some riding clothes in your hand luggage - then if your luggage goes astray you are still able to ride!
In your hold luggage
- Any liquids, such as shampoo, moisturiser, deodorant unless they are less than 100ml and all bottles can fit in a small, clear, plastic Ziplock bag. We recommend biodegradable washing products where possible.
In your hand luggage
- Any valuables, such as your camera, ipod, ipad etc.
Visa & Health
Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.
If you hold a British Citizen passport, you don’t need a visa to enter Hungary
The rules on travel will stay the same until 31 December 2020.
Please visit for the FCO website for up-to-date information - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/hungary/entry-requirements
Addresses of consulates
- Ambassade de Hongrie en France
5 square de l'avenue Foch
Tél. : 00 33 1 45 00 94 97
Fax : 00 33 1 56 36 02 68
- Ambassade de France en Hongrie
27 Lendvay Utca
Tél. : 00 36 (1) 374 11 00
Fax : 00 36 (1) 374 11 40
For recommended vaccinations, please visit https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/103/hungary#Vaccine_recommendations
Budget and money
Don’t use street money changers. Take care not to accept bank notes that are no longer valid but which are still in circulation. There have been a small number of reports of taxi drivers deliberately passing these notes to tourists - as well as notes from neighbouring countries that are not valid in Hungary.
Telephone and jetlag
Hungary is on GMT+1 (one hour difference with the UK)
Did you know?
Did you know?
Furioso-North Star, the Hungarian horse breed
Used for both leisure and light farm work, The Furioso is a Hungarian horse breed developed at the Mezőhegyes Stud Farm, with a large thoroughbred influence. It also called Furioso-North Star, after the two primary stallions of the breed. The Furioso generally shows a bay coat, whereas black and chestnut coats are less common. It has a calm and energetic temper, and is renowned for his balance and intelligence.
It is today more and more used as a sport horse and can be seen at carriage driving competitions.
Although the breed is present in the whole of Central Europe, it is relatively rare and on the verge of extinction.