Europe > Romania

Horse Riding Trails in Romania

Romania is one of the last countries in Europe in which the horse has not yet been replaced by the tractor truck. Horse riding trails through Transylvania and the Carpathian mountains offer majestic scenery and a step back in time, staying in converted farmhouses and local village houses. Home to one of the last primeval forests in Europe, this area is a haven for large mammals such as wolves, bears and lynx.
See all our trips

From the horse’s mouth

  • The Riders of Transylvania
    August 2023 Jara aged 37
    The horses were wonderful! My horse Kála was the perfect fit. The riding was fun, varied and never boring. The guide, Mathhias, was very knowledgeable regarding all things Romanian/Transylvanian history. However, he took some time to warm up or to be engaging. It was lovely to be joined by the count and countess for... Read all
    More about this trip
  • Agricultural tradition in Romania
    Meeting with the locals along the trail
  • Horseback trail ride in Transylvania, Romania
    The hills of Transylavania on horseback
  • Horses and cattle in Romania, Transylvania
    Meeting with the cattle
  • Horses and local in Transylvania, Romania
    Discover the Romanian traditions
  • Horseback trail ride in Romania
    Riding in the shaded Romanian forests

Visa & Health


British citizens: other nationalities, please contact us.

The rules for travelling or working in European countries changed on 1 January 2021:
- you can travel to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. This applies if you travel as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training.
- if you are travelling to Norway and other Schengen countries without a visa, make sure your whole visit is within the 90-day limit. Visits to Schengen countries within the previous 180 days before you travel count towards your 90 days.

At border control for Romania, you may need to:

- show a return or onward ticket
- show you have enough money for your stay, and
- use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing
- Your passport may be stamped on entry and exit.

Passport validity from 1 January 2021
From 1 January 2021, you must have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland).
If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip. You will need to renew your passport before travelling if you do not have enough time left on your passport.
Please visit for the FCO website for up-to-date information -

Addresses of consulates

  • Ambassade de France à l'étranger
    13-15 Strada Biserica Amzei
    BP 143
    010392 Bucarest
    Tél. : 40] (21) 303 10 00
    Fax : 40] (21) 303 10 90
  • Ambassade en France
    5-7, rue de l'Exposition
    75343 PARIS CEDEX 07
    Tél. : 01 47 05 10 46/27 55
    Fax : 01 45 56 97 47 /
  • Embassy of Romania in London
    Arundel House
    4 Palace Green
    W84QD London
    Tél. : +44 20 7937 8069
    Fax :
  • Ambassade de Roumanie
    Rue Gabrielle 105
    1180 Bruxelles
    Tél. : +32 (0) 2 345 26 80
    Fax : +32 (0) 2 346 23 45
  • Ambassade de Roumanie
    Kirchenfeldstrasse 78
    3005 Berne
    Tél. : 031/352 53 00
    Fax : 031/352 64 55


UK Citizens: A UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in the European Union (EU).

Travellers should be up to date with routine vaccination courses and boosters as recommended in the UK. These vaccinations include for example measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine and diphtheria-tetanus-polio vaccine.

It’s important to take out appropriate travel insurance for your needs. A GHIC or EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance and you should have both before you travel. It does not cover all health-related costs, for example, medical repatriation, ongoing medical treatment and non-urgent treatment.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 112 and ask for an ambulance. If you are referred to a medical facility for treatment you should contact your insurance/medical assistance company immediately.