During this holiday you will be staying at one of the area’s best inns – either Broken spur Inn, Torrey Schoolhouse B&B, or Red Sands Hotel, all in the small town of Torrey. These three inns offer a comfortable stay in well-maintained facilities. Please note you will be staying at the same hotel throughout your holiday - this isn't a mobile trail.
All meals are provided during this holiday. Breakfast will be taken at the accommodation and may consist of varied cold meats, eggs, bacon, fruit, pancakes, and more. Lunch will be eaten on the trail and may include sandwiches, snacks, and fruit. Dinner is eaten at local restaurants and is generally a meat or fish dish, followed by dessert.
Vegetarian and other dietary requirements can be accommodated but please contact us with your requirements before booking.
The climate in Torrey is usually on the colder side but it is temperate.
July is the warmest month of the year with an average temperature of 21.4 °C, and January is usually the coldest month.
Tips are compulsory in Tips are compulsory in USA. Local team expects to get 18-20% payable locally
Tipping at the restaurants where you’ll have dinner during the ride is not expected, as this is already included in the total cost of your holiday.
Helmets are not provided in this holiday so if you should bring your own
- Riding helmet
- Sunhat for when not riding
- Sunglasses - with a cord attached so they don't fly off when riding
- Buff or bandana
- Thermals (long or short sleeved)
- Long sleeved shirts provide protection from the sun and are an extra layer
- Lightweight fleece or jumper
- Warm fleece or jumper (and a spare in case one gets wet)
- Warm and waterproof jacket - it can rain at any time of year and the evenings can be particularly cold
- Swimming costume - for swimming/bathing in rivers/hot springs
- Lightweight, comfortable riding trousers or jodhpurs - we recommend riding in them at home before taking them on holiday to ensure they don't rub
- Casual trousers for the evenings, such as jeans or tracksuit bottoms
- Waterproof over trousers may be useful
Hands and Feet
- Comfortable riding boots. We recommend short boots with half chaps but you may wish to take long chaps as an extra layer against inclement weather. We don't recommend taking your favourite long leather boots in case they get damaged
- Waterproof shoes/boots can be useful for abundant dew in the mornings or when it rains
- Trainers or equivalent light shoes for moving around the camp in the evenings
- Several pairs of warm, thick socks
- Gloves - your hands are particularly exposed to the sun, cold or rain whilst riding. Waterproof gloves can be particularly useful
Other useful items
- Camera and high capacity memory card. Spare battery
- Bumbag for carrying your camera and small items whilst riding
- Headtorch or small torch for moving around camp at night - bring spare batteries and bulbs
- Water bottle (2 litres or 2 x 1 litre)
- Swiss army knife (or equivalent)
- Ear plugs (for light sleepers)
- Any medication you regularly take
- Sunscreen and lip balm - should be high factor
- Insect repellent, preferably containing deet
- Blister plasters in case of any rubs
- Antiseptic cream, plasters, aspirin, anti-histamine, insect-bite salve etc...
- Spare prescription glasses/contact lenses
- Eye drops
- Imodium or similar anti-diarrhoea medication
- Re-hydration sachets
- Water purification tablets
- Antiseptic wipes
- Handwash gel
- Backpacks cannot be worn whilst riding. We recommend a small bumbag or a coat with pockets so that you can carry small items with you during the day (passport, camera, sunscreen, lipbalm etc)
- We recommend travelling in your riding boots and carrying your hat and some riding clothes in your hand luggage - then if your luggage goes astray you are still able to ride!
- We recommend taking a copy of your passport and insurance documents with you in case you lose your originals
- In your hold luggage put any liquids, such as shampoo, moisturiser, deodorant unless they are less than 100ml and all bottles can fit in a small, clear, plastic ziplock bag. We recommend biodegradable washing products where possible.
- In your hand luggage place any valuables, such as your camera, ipod, ipad etc.