3 nights in hotels or guesthouses :
Your arrival and departure nights, as well as Wednesday night, will be spent in comfortable guesthouses or hotels, in double or triple rooms with en suite bathrooms. Wi-Fi is available.
4 nights at camp : The tents are double teepee tents with two single mattresses (bring your own sleeping bag). The camp also includes a mess tent for meals with chairs and tables, a toilet tent and a shower tent (bucket and a gas stove for heating the water). No electricity at camp.
Continental breakfast at camp or in guesthouses.
Picnic lunches featuring local specialties.
Dinners are taken inside the mess tent or outside by the fire, or in guesthouses when not camping. Traditional dishes, fruit and salads.
Tea, coffee and mineral water are included; wine, beer and soft drinks are available as an option. Vegetarian meals are available on request.
South Turkey has a Mediterranean climate. This ride takes place in March/April, and November/December, when the daytime temperatures are cooler - expect 15-20°C during the day, but the water remains warm all year round (20-23°C on average). Rain is not very likely but can happen during those months.
Tips and gratuities are not mandatory in Turkey, although it is customary to leave a tip at restaurants (some already include a 10% in the bill). Tips to the local team and appreciated but are left to your discretion.
Please note: your luggage will be transferred by our back-up vehicle. You should pack several, lighter bags rather than one large, heavy suitcase.
Important packing items: sleeping bag, towel, torch, power bank (to charge your electronic devices), mosquito repellent, hiking shoes, a few small waterproof bags to protect your phone/camera when crossing rivers.
- Equus Journeys strongly recommend that you wear a riding helmet and that you take your own to ensure a correct fit.
- Sunhat for when not riding
- Sunglasses - with a cord attached so they don't fly off when riding
- Buff or bandana
- Long sleeved shirts provide protection from the sun and dust
- Fleece, jumper or jacket - the evenings can be cold
- Waterproof jacket - the rains can be difficult to foresee in spring and it's better to be prepared. Layering is key to cope with the fluctuations in temperature between day and night
- Casual clothes for the evening
- Lightweight, comfortable riding trousers or jodhpurs - we recommend riding in them at home before taking them on holiday to ensure they don't rub
- Shorts for lazy lunchtimes
- Casual clothes for the evening
Hands and Feet
- Comfortable riding boots. We recommend short boots with half chaps as long chaps/long boots can get very hot. Walking boots are preferable as you may have to walk over some stony slopes.
- Sandals, flip-flops or trainers for moving around the camp
- Gloves - your hands are particularly exposed to the sun whilst riding
- Sleeping bag - we recommend a comfort factor of 0°C. We also recommend taking a silk or fleece liner for an extra layer
Other useful items
- Mandatory: Water bottle (1.5 litre or two x 1 litre)
- Waterproof bags (you will ride across rivers)
- Hand sanitiser
- Camera and high capacity memory card. Spare battery
- Bumbag for carrying your camera and small items whilst riding
- Headtorch or small torch (mandatory)
- Toilet paper and small plastic bags for taking rubbish away
- Power bank - there is no electricity at camp to charge your devices.
- Sunscreen and lip balm - must be high factor
- Insect repellent (mandatory)
- Any medication you regularly take
- Blister plasters in case of any rubs
- Antiseptic cream, plasters, aspirin, anti-histamine, insect-bite salve etc...
- Rehydration sachets (dioralyte or similar)
- Spare prescription glasses/contact lenses
- Ear plugs, particularly if you are a light sleeper
- We recommend travelling in your riding boots and carrying your hat and some riding clothes in your hand luggage - then if your luggage goes astray you are still able to ride!
- You should also bring a copy of your passport/insurance in case you lose your documents. You can also save a copy into your mobile phone.