from 6 y.o
- Experience the fabulous scenery of British Colombia, just a few hours south of Banff National Park
- Varied activities, perfect for families and non-riders
- An excellent selection of horses for beginners to more experienced riders.
- Please contact us for your extension to Banff National Park and self-drive programs.
Day 1 1 : ARRIVE IN CRANBROOKThree Bars RanchFlight to Cranbrook, in British Columbia (via Vancouver or Calgary). Flights are not included but can be booked for you on request.
On arrival at the airport, you will be driven to the Ranch (approx. 15 min drive). You have time to settle and explore your cabin before meeting with your hosts and other guests over dinner.
Day 2 2 : RANCH - 2-5 hrs ridingThree Bars RanchAfter a copious breakfast, the staff will be waiting for you at the stables to introduce you to the horses. The stable manager will be sure to find the perfect horse for you, matching your riding abilities and expectations. Your horse will be yours for the duration of the stay (unless you'd prefer to change), giving you the opportunity to build a relationship with him.
In the morning, the wranglers bring the horses in from the pastures. After a morning in the saddle, you get back to the Ranch for lunch before heading out on your afternoon ride. Back at the Ranch in the afternoon where you may choose to relax with a beer at the saloon or at the spa.
IMPORTANT: Both the above and the following programme is provided as a guide, it is by no means exhaustive but reflects all of the activities in which you are able to participate.
Day 3 3 : RANCH - 2-5 hrs ridingThree Bars RanchAfter breakfast, you meet with your horse again for another trail ride across the beautiful countryside. Now that the wranglers know you better, the rythm will be a bit more pacey for those who want to. The Ranch is located between the mountains and the St Mary river, and the scenery is truly stunning! Back to the ranch in the afternoon for dinner and a good night's sleep.
Day 4 4 : RANCH - 2-5 hrs ridingThree Bars RanchYou may choose to go on another trail ride this morning or to enjoy other activities at the Ranch: the choice is yours. Families can ask for specific rides and children can choose to ride or to discover life on a ranch with educational activities (mini-farm). At the end of the day, enjoy some time off to relax around the pool before a BBQ dinner.
Day 5 5 : RANCH - 2-5 hrs ridingThree Bars RanchThe mountains are calling and are waiting to be explored on horseback! Depending on each group's preferences, you may ride into the mountains across the plateau or the river banks. After lunch, you are welcome to go on another ride or try your hand at fly-fishing, archery, or shooting.
Day 6 6 : RANCH - 2-5 hrs ridingThree Bars RanchToday is your last day on the Ranch. Today's ride may take you to the pine forests to discover the local wildlife and remarkable ecosystem. Lunch at the Ranch before your last trail ride in Canada. This evening, after dinner, a bonfire will be lit to enjoy smores and toasted marshmallows.
Day 7 7 : RANCH - CRANBROOK - DEPARTUREAfter breakfast, you are transferred to Cranbrook airport for your flight back home. If you are booking your own flights, please make sure to book a flight departing after 09:30 AM.
Dates & prices
- Rates a per person, based on two people sharing a double or twin standard room.
- The usual group size is 1 - 6 of international riders plus guide.
- Transfers are included and available from Cranbrook airport. First shuttle is 1:30 on day or arrival (please aim to arrive in the late afternoon at the latest), last shuttle is 11:30 am on day of departure.
- Non-riders welcome and benefit from a special rate - please contact us.
- Children aged 6-12 are welcome, with special discounts available (please contact us).
- If you sign up to the ride as a solo rider and there are no other riders likely to share your room, you will be charged a single room supplement of approx. £540/€650/$670 in the high season and £230/€275/$290 in the low season. You will then be reimbursed if a sharer is found for you at a later date.
- You can rent cowboy boots for CA$35 for the week
Activities included (depending on the season:
Unlimited guided horseback riding – every morning and afternoon (Mon-Fri).
Full multi-sport program.
Shooting sports (archery, clay pigeon and rim fire)
River Rafting (July and August only)
Guided hike , E-Bike tours & mapped hiking trails, & mountain biking.
Fly fishing equipment and unlimited access. fishing opens June 15th on the river.
River Rafting is not available in Spring or Fall (July and August only).
All ranch amenities - indoor heated swimming pool, hot tut, fitness facility & tennis.
Full evening entertainment program.
Additional activities that can be organised but are not included:
Guided fly fishing trips on the St. Mary’s River (Fishing is best mid July – Oct)
Massage by appointment at lodge.
Local Golf – 5 major – 18 hole courses within 20 minutes of the ranch
Private & semi-private riding lessons – ranch arena
Full service bar – Beer, wine list etc.
If you’re planning off ranch adventures you will need to rent a car.
The itinerary may be modified at anytime for security reasons, meteorological or events beyond our control such as blocked roads, rivers in flood, drought, strikes and local holidays. Equus Journeys, our local partners and their local guides will always strive to find the best solution and will alter the itinerary as needed.
The names of the hotels and accommodation are given for information only and depending on availability, they may be modified without notice and replaced by another of a similar standard.
Staff and guides
10% gratuity and 6,2% tax
Price doesn't include
Cancellation and travel insurance are not included in the above listed price. Please note that insurance is mandatory. We recommend taking out an insurance policy as soon as your trip is booked to cover you in case of cancellation
Departure Return Price without flights Price including flights Status 14/05/2023 20/05/2023 £1,920 €2,261 $2,246 Guaranteed departure Book now 21/05/2023 27/05/2023 £1,920 €2,261 $2,246 Guaranteed departure Book now 28/05/2023 03/06/2023 £1,920 €2,261 $2,246 Guaranteed departure Book now 04/06/2023 10/06/2023 £1,920 €2,261 $2,246 Guaranteed departure Book now 11/06/2023 17/06/2023 £2,490 €2,932 $2,913 Guaranteed departure Book now 18/06/2023 24/06/2023 £2,490 €2,932 $2,913 Guaranteed departure Book now 25/06/2023 01/07/2023 £2,900 €3,415 $3,393 Guaranteed departure Book now
Departure Return Price without flights Price including flights Status 02/07/2023 08/07/2023 £2,900 €3,415 $3,393 Guaranteed departure Book now 09/07/2023 15/07/2023 £2,900 €3,415 $3,393 Guaranteed departure Book now 16/07/2023 22/07/2023 £2,900 €3,415 $3,393 Guaranteed departure Book now 23/07/2023 29/07/2023 £2,900 €3,415 $3,393 Guaranteed departure Book now 30/07/2023 05/08/2023 £2,900 €3,415 $3,393 Guaranteed departure Book now 06/08/2023 12/08/2023 £2,900 €3,415 $3,393 Guaranteed departure Book now 13/08/2023 19/08/2023 £2,900 €3,415 $3,393 Guaranteed departure Book now 20/08/2023 26/08/2023 £2,900 €3,415 $3,393 Guaranteed departure Book now 27/08/2023 02/09/2023 £2,490 €2,932 $2,913 Guaranteed departure Book now
Departure Return Price without flights Price including flights Status 03/09/2023 09/09/2023 £2,490 €2,932 $2,913 Guaranteed departure Book now 10/09/2023 16/09/2023 £1,920 €2,261 $2,246 Guaranteed departure Book now 17/09/2023 23/09/2023 £1,920 €2,261 $2,246 Guaranteed departure Book now
Minimum riding ability
Minimum riding ability
Weight limit: 270 lbs - 120 kg - 19 st
Tacking ability and participation
Trip conditions and Requested experience
Riders who are unable to mount unassisted from the ground may not be eligible for fast rides.
We recommend our riders to wear a helmet to the correct standard and you should bring your own to ensure a proper fit.
Families have the option of staying in bigger chalets that can accommodate up to 4 people. Please contact us.
Lunch: hot and cold options, salads, grilled meats, dessert
Dinner: American style, potatoes, meat, salads, bread, dessert, BBQ dinners or Mexican dinners...
Extra drinks can be purchased locally.
Guide and local team
- Equus Journeys strongly recommend that you wear a riding helmet and that you take your own to ensure a correct fit. There are many lightweight options available nowadays. Helmets are mandatory for children.
- Sunhat for when not riding
- Sunglasses - with a cord attached so they don't fly off when riding
- Buff or bandana
- Long sleeved shirts provide protection from the sun and keep you cooler
- Lightweight fleece or jumper
- Warm fleece or jumper
- Waterproof jacket - it can rain and there are frequent thunderstorms
- Swimming costume - for the Jacuzzi
- Lightweight, comfortable riding trousers or jodhpurs - we recommend riding in them at home before taking them on holiday to ensure they don't rub
- Casual trousers for the evenings, such as jeans
Hands and Feet
- Comfortable riding boots. We recommend short boots with half chaps but you may wish to take long chaps as an extra layer against inclement weather. We don't recommend taking your favourite long leather boots in case they get damaged
- Trainers or equivalent light shoes for moving around the ranch in the evenings
- Several pairs of socks
- Gloves - your hands are particularly exposed to the sun.
- Casual clothes for the evening
- Pyjamas or nightdress
- Backpacks cannot be worn whilst riding. We recommend a small bumbag or a coat with pockets so that you can carry small items with you during the day (passport, camera, sunscreen, lip balm etc)
- We recommend travelling in your riding boots and carrying your hat and some riding clothes in your hand luggage - then if your luggage goes astray you are still able to ride!
Other useful items
- Camera and high capacity memory card. Spare battery
- Bumbag for carrying your camera and small items whilst riding you can put them in your saddlebag
- Ear plugs (for light sleepers)
In your hold luggage
- Any liquids, such as shampoo, moisturiser, deodorant unless they are less than 100ml and all bottles can fit in a small, clear, plastic ziplock bag.
In your hand luggage
- Any valuables, such as your camera, ipod, ipad etc.
- Travelling in your riding boots and carrying your hat and some riding clothes is highly recommended - then if your luggage goes astray you are still able to ride!
- Any medication you regularly take
- Sunscreen and lip balm - should be high factor
- Insect repellent, preferably containing deet
- Blister plasters in case of any rubs
- Antiseptic cream, plasters, aspirin, anti-histamine, insect-bite salve etc...
- Spare prescription glasses/contact lenses
- Rehydration sachets
- We recommend taking a copy of your passport and insurance documents with you just in case.
- First aid kit
- Saddle bags
- Fully equipped room, with towels, bed linen etc
- Free laundry service
Visa & Health
VISA AND ENTRY FORMALITIES
To enter Canada, a valid passport is required by all Australian, British and US nationals. All other nationalities should check with the local embassy. If you are travelling with children and only one parent is present, you should carry a letter of consent from the non-travelling parent.
UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Canada. You can apply for an Electronic Travel Authorisation using an ETD.
Visa-exempt foreign nationals, such as British nationals, are now required to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada.
Applying for an eTA is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes. To apply, you must have a valid passport or acceptable travel document, a credit card, and an email address. You need to apply for an eTA before you book your flight to Canada. Most applications are approved quickly, even within minutes. However, some applications can take several days to process so don’t wait until the last minute.
You can find more information about eTAs and travel to Canada by following the link below: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada.html
In any case please check online the official government website for any updating or modification in the entry procedures.
TRAVELLING WITH CHILDREN
If you are travelling with children, and only one parent is present, you should carry a letter of consent from the non-travelling parent. Immigration officers have the right to question children using simple and appropriate language to establish whether there are any concerns about child abduction. A letter of consent may help to dispel potential concerns. For further information check with the Canadian High Commission or the Canada Border Services Agency.
TRAVELLING VIA THE USA
If you are planning on flying to Canada via the USA, You should complete an online pre-registration form on the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) website, before you travel. The US Customs and Border Patrol recommends that you do this at least 72 hours before departure. Applying for and securing an ESTA is a separate process to your Canadian eTA.
Addresses of consulates
- Ambassade du Canada
35, avenue Montaigne
Tél. : 01.44.43.29.02
Fax : 01.44.43.29.86
- Consulat du Canada à Lyon
21, rue Bourgelat
Tél. : 04.72.77.64.07
Fax : 04.72.77.65.09
- Canadian High Commission in the UK
Canada House, trafalgar Sq
Tél. : (020) 7258 6600
- British High Commission in Canada
80 Elgin Street
Ottawa Ontario K1P 5K7
K1P5K7 Ottawa Ontario
Tél. : +1 613 237 1530
- Ambassade du Canada
Avenue de Tervuren 2
Tél. : +32 (0) 2 741 06 11
Fax : +32 (0) 2 741 06 43
- Ambassade de France au Canada
42, Promenade Sussex
K1M 2C9 Ontario
Tél. : +1 (613) 789 1795
Fax : +1 (613) 562 3735
Cancellation and travel insurances are not included. Please note that insurance is mandatory. We recommend to take out an insurance policy as soon as your travel is booked in case of cancellation.
Budget and money
Major credit cards are widely accepted. Use of debit cards is widespread, although many stores impose a C$5 to C$20 minimum per debit card purchase, and service charges may apply.
ATMs are easy to find in populated areas but are less common in remote regions such as rural parts of the Northwest Territories, Nunuvat and Labrador. Use a machine affiliated with a major bank to reduce service charges; independent machines in locations such as casinos and convenience stores may carry high charges and do not always accept international cards.
Telephone and jetlag
To call Canada, the following dial code is required.
+1 to dial Canada its 001 from UK
The populous areas of Canada along the border with the USA have excellent cellular and wired telecommunications, meaning that travellers are never far from an international phone call home, a WIFI connection or an internet cafe. Turn yourself and start heading north, and it's not long until the traveller will find themselves in the vast and sparsely populated lands that make up the majority of Canada. With no phones and no cellular coverage, and probably pretty sparse on power, it provides a great opportunity to unplug and get away from it all. In the northern reaches of Canada, above the arctic circle, you may even find that satellite devices might not work without a clear view of the sky over the equator.
Did you know?
Did you know?
Banff National Park is Canada's oldest national park, established in 1885 in the Rocky Mountains. It is the third-oldest national park in the world and declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1984 due to its impressive scenic landscapes and wildlife. While riding in this breathtaking natural park, you will be able to see ancient glaciers, many crystal-clear lakes and maybe spot a few of the 53 species of mammals (elk, bighorn sheep, mountains goats, moose, bears and wolves) that roam the area. The Park is open all year round, with peak seasons being in July for the warm temperatures, and August for the possibility to see the Northern Lights.
This ranch holiday is only a few short hours away from Banff National Park. After your ranch vacation, why not spend a few extra days in Canada and explore this beautiful part of the country?