In Hurghada you will be staying in a 3* hotel with wifi, TV and pool. In Luxor you will spend nights at a guesthouse of excellent standards and hospitality. In Cairo you will be offered a 2-3* hotel based on availability.
All meals are provided for on this riding holiday.
Breakfast: Pancakes, juice, bread, cheese and eggs, tea and coffee.
Lunch: salads, falafels, rice, aubergine, grilled chicken.
Dinner: hot meals (tajines with chicken, meat or fish), rice, salads, mussaka
Water and soft drinks are provided.
Hot temperatures are common all year round. Temperatures generally range from 18-25C during winter and spring. This ride does not run in the summer as it is way to hot for riders and horses. Rain is not common, and blue skies with sunshine is the norm every day.
Even though the day temperature is usually very hot during the day, it will become much cooler at night once the sun has set. For this reason we recommend you take some warmer clothes to keep you warm during the evenings and nights.
Guide and local team
Your main guides are Mohammed and Emma, accompanied by their team. They speak English and Arabic collectively. Your hosts and drivers all speak English.
Tipping in Egypt is a way of life. It is considered a norm to leave small tips in services you have received, such as restaurants, hotels, drivers, tour guides, etc. A tip envelope of $150 (or the equivalent amount in euros or GBP) will be given to your guide on day 1 and distributed during the week to cover all of the tips mentioned above. This way you don't have to worry about currency exchange and wondering if you should have tipped or not.
- A riding helmet is strongly recommended. We recommend you take your own to ensure the right fit.
- Sun hat when not riding
- Sunglasses-with a cord attached so they don't fly away when galloping.
- Buff or bandana for protecting your neck and face from the sun and dust.
- Thermals (long or short sleeved)
- Long sleeved shirts to provide protection from the sun.
- Lightweight fleece or jumper.
- Light waterproof jacket- although it doesn't rain much Egypt, it is better to be prepared.
- Lightweight riding trousers or jodhpurs. We recommend riding in them at home to ensure they won't rub during your holiday.
- Casual clothes for the non-riding days (jeans or walking trousers)
Hands and Feet
- Comfortable riding boots. We recommend short boots with half chaps but you may take long chaps or long boots.
- Lightweight shoes or trainers for the non-riding days.
- Several pairs of socks
- Gloves - your hands are particularly exposed to the sun, wind or rain whilst riding
Other useful items:
- Swimsuit and a small travel towel
- Camera and high capacity memory card. Spare battery
- Bumbag for carrying your camera and small items whilst riding
- Water bottle (2 litres or 2 x 1 litre)
- Ear plugs (for light sleepers)
- Swiss army knife or equivalent (in your Check-in Luggage!!!!)
- Sunscreen and lip balm - should be high factor
- Insect repellent - a must in Egypt, please take a high quality spray
- Any medication you regularly take
- Blister plasters in case of any rubs
- Antiseptic cream, plasters, aspirin, anti-histamine, insect-bite salve etc...
- Spare prescription glasses/contact lenses
- Eye drops
- Imodium or similar anti-diarrhoea medication
- Re-hydration sachets
- Antiseptic wipes
- Hand wash gel
- Backpacks cannot be worn whilst riding. We recommend a small bumbag or a coat with pockets so that you can carry small items with you during the day (passport, camera, sunscreen, lip balm etc)
- Any liquids in your hold luggage, such as shampoo, moisturizer, over 100ml should be decanted into small, clear, plastic ziplock bag. We recommend biodegradable washing products where possible.
- In your hand luggage take any valuables, such as your camera, ipod, ipad etc.
- Travelling in your riding boots and carrying your hat and some riding clothes is highly recommended - then if your luggage goes astray you are still able to ride!
- We recommend taking a copy of your passport and insurance documents with you in case you lose your originals