from 6 y.o
- Ideal for non-riders as plenty of different activities on offer: mountain bikes, yoga, hiking, climbing...
- Tasty Moroccan cooking
- Ride traditional Moroccan Barb and Arabian horses which are well schooled and well balanced
- The lodge is an eco-lodge which respects the local traditions, follows a strict environmental charter and employs local staff wherever possible.
- Children are welcome at the lodge from 6 years but please bear in mind that there are no ponies and so riding children should be experienced and used to riding of horses of c.15hh.
Day 1 1 : EUROPE - MARRAKECH - ATLAS MOUNTAINS - 2 hours ridingLodgeDaytime flight to Marrakech - flight is not included but we can assist with this on request.
You will be met in the airport and transferred c. 40min to the lodge. If you arrive in time for lunch then this can be provided by the lodge but is payable locally.
In the afternoon you will meet the horses and set out on your first ride - this ride is a chance to get to know your mount and for your guide to assess your ability. Return to the lodge before sunset for dinner and to overnight.
If you arrive too late to ride the you will be simply transferred to the lodge in time for dinner and to overnight.
Day 2 2 : TOUBKAL AND HAOUZ PLAIN - 4-5 hours ridingLodgeAfter breakfast you will meet at the stables for a full day ride. Head out on a path through woodland until join a pass which offers panoramic views of the Toubkal massif on one side and the plain of Haouz with the plateau of Kik on the other. Descend on a track to the Asni river where you have lunch beside the river.
In the afternoon you ride high to the summit of Djebel Khalout (1,545m) which towers above the town of Moulay Brahim. Descend by a steep path to join a track where you can experience a succession of trots and canters.
Day 3 3 : FOREST AND VALLEY OF IRAKEN - 4-5 hours ridingLodgeAfter breakfast, you ride in the direction of the high mountains of Toubkal. A small twisting path takes you into the valley where you cross several traditional small towns built of dry stone. Then you follow a wide path, ideal for some trots and canters, which rises uphill to a beautiful forest of Alep pine. Lunch is taken on the summit under the shadow of pines, with a fantastic view over the valley of Tahnnaoute and the plain of Haouz.
The afternoon begins by following a mule path under the pines before emerging onto a track which follows the valley to Outghal village, from where there is a nice view of the Oukaimeden mountain range. Ride back to the stables along the riverbank.
Day 4 4 : ATLAS MOUNTAINS - MARRAKECH - EUROPEAfter breakfast you will be transferred to the airport for your flight back to London.
If you arrived late on Day 1 then it is possible to have a final short ride on horseback this morning. Lunch can be provided by the lodge at extra cost - payable locally.You will then be transferred back to the airport in the afternoon.
Extensions : If you wish to extend your time in Morocco to include a hotel or riad in Marrakech, or to explore the country further then we would be happy to assist you.
Dates & prices
- You can arrive and depart on any day and stay for as long as you like - the above dates are purely to give you an idea. Additional day: approx €120/£110 per day and per person (in a standard double room), depending on season. Please contact us for a detailed quotation.
- Groups are composed from 1 rider to a maximum of 10 riders. If there is only one rider in the group, a small group supplement applies (transfers and single room): €115/£110.
- If you sign up to the ride as a solo rider and there are no other riders likely to share your room, you will be charged a single room supplement of approx. €120/£95. You will then be reimbursed if a sharer is found for you at a later date.
- Discounts are possible for children - please enquire for more details.
- Accommodation in Berber tents (shared toilets/bathroom) is also possible and this comes at a discounted price. Please contact us for a personalised quotation.
- There are many optional activities on offer and some are at extra cost, such as mountain biking and zip wires - these are paid locally.
- Please note that the horses are c. 15hh so if you weigh over 90kg or are taller than 6ft 5inches then please contact us before booking so that we can check there is a suitable mount for you.
The itinerary may be modified at anytime for security reasons, meteorological or events beyond our control such as blocked roads, rivers in flood, drought, strikes and local holidays. Equus Journeys, our local partners and their local guides will always strive to find the best solution and will alter the itinerary as needed.
The names of the hotels and accommodation are given for information only and depending on availability, they may be modified without notice and replaced by another of a similar standard.
Price doesn't include
Beverages and personal extras
Departure Return Price without flights Price including flights Status 19/06/2021 22/06/2021 £495 €583 $678 Guaranteed departure Book now 26/06/2021 29/06/2021 £495 €583 $678 Guaranteed departure Book now
Departure Return Price without flights Price including flights Status 03/07/2021 06/07/2021 £495 €583 $678 Guaranteed departure Book now 10/07/2021 13/07/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now 17/07/2021 20/07/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now 24/07/2021 27/07/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now 31/07/2021 03/08/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now 07/08/2021 10/08/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now 14/08/2021 17/08/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now 21/08/2021 24/08/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now 28/08/2021 31/08/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now
Departure Return Price without flights Price including flights Status 04/09/2021 07/09/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now 11/09/2021 14/09/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now 18/09/2021 21/09/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now 25/09/2021 28/09/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now 02/10/2021 05/10/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now 09/10/2021 12/10/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now 16/10/2021 19/10/2021 £660 €777 $904 Guaranteed departure Book now 23/10/2021 26/10/2021 £660 €777 $904 Guaranteed departure Book now 30/10/2021 02/11/2021 £555 €654 $760 Guaranteed departure Book now
Departure Return Price without flights Price including flights Status 06/11/2021 09/11/2021 £495 €583 $678 Guaranteed departure Book now 13/11/2021 16/11/2021 £495 €583 $678 Guaranteed departure Book now 20/11/2021 23/11/2021 £495 €583 $678 Guaranteed departure Book now 27/11/2021 30/11/2021 £495 €583 $678 Guaranteed departure Book now 04/12/2021 07/12/2021 £495 €583 $678 Guaranteed departure Book now 11/12/2021 14/12/2021 £495 €583 $678 Guaranteed departure Book now 18/12/2021 21/12/2021 £705 €830 $966 Guaranteed departure Book now 25/12/2021 28/12/2021 £750 €883 $1,028 Guaranteed departure Book now
Minimum riding ability
Minimum riding ability
Please note that the horses are c. 15hh so if you weigh over 90kg or are taller than 6ft 5inches then please contact us before booking so that we can check there is a suitable mount for you. Please also bear this in mind when considering this destination for children as there are no small ponies.
Tacking ability and participation
Trip conditions and Requested experience
No particular experience is required.
Visiting a new country offers the opportunity to meet other cultures with different mentalities, therefore it is important to accept these differences and respect the local way of life.
We recommend our riders to wear a helmet to the correct standard and you should bring your own to ensure a proper fit.
- Simple lodge (64m2): 1 bedroom, a living room (with sofa bed if required), bathroom and private terrace.
- Double room (75m2): 2 bedrooms, a living room (with sofa bed if required), 2 bathrooms and private terrace.
The meals will be Moroccan with some European influences: usually a cold of lunch of salads, breads and fruit and a hot dinner comprising soup followed by tajine and dessert.
Accommodation in Berber tents is also possible. The tents are spacious and comfortable, although the bathrooms/toilets are shared.
In winter the mornings are fresh but temperatures have climbed to c. 20c by midday and then fall quickly as the sun sets. The evenings are cold and you will feel the difference, dropping to c. 6c
The best seasons to visit the city are Spring and Autumn when the temperatures are pleasant all day. Midday temperatures are c. 22-25c.
In summer the early mornings and evenings are pleasant but it can reach 40c by midday and the afternoons can feel hot and stuffy.
Guide and local team
-Equus Journeys strongly recommend that you wear a riding helmet and that you take your own to ensure a correct fit.
-Sunhat for when not riding
- Sunglasses - with a cord attached so they don't fly off when riding
- Buff or bandana
- Long sleeved shirts provide protection from the sun and dust
- Fleece, jumper or jacket - the evenings can be cold
- Waterproof jacket - the rains can be difficult to foresee and it's better to be prepared. Layering is key to cope with the fluctuations in temperature between day and night
- Casual clothes for the evening
- Lightweight, comfortable riding trousers or jodhpurs - we recommend riding in them at home before taking them on holiday to ensure they don't rub
- Shorts for lazy lunchtimes
- Casual clothes for the evening
Hands and Feet
- Comfortable riding boots. We recommend short boots with half chaps as long chaps/long boots can get very hot.
- Sandals, flip-flops or trainers for when not riding
- Gloves - your hands are particularly exposed to the sun whilst riding
- Please don't take a hard sided suitcase if possible as a soft sided one is easier for the team to handle.
- Take a second, smaller bag to pack things you may need during the day such as a book or suncream
- We recommend travelling in your riding boots and carrying your hat and some riding clothes in your hand luggage - then if your luggage goes astray you are still able to ride!
Other useful items
- Towel. Camping towels will pack lighter and dry more easily
- Sarong (for going to/from the shower)
- Water bottle (1.5 litre or two x 1 litre)
- Camera and high capacity memory card. Spare battery
- Bumbag for carrying your camera and small items whilst riding
- Headtorch or small torch for moving around at night
In your luggage
- Any liquids, such as shampoo, moisturiser, deodorant unless they are less than 100ml and all bottles can fit in a small, clear, plastic ziplock bag.
- Small penknife
In your hand luggage
- Any valuables, such as your camera, ipod, ipad etc.
- Your riding hat
- Sunscreen and lip balm - must be high factor
- Insect repellent
- Any medication you regularly take
- Blister plasters in case of any rubs
- Antiseptic cream, plasters, aspirin, anti-histamine, insect-bite salve etc...
- Rehydration sachets (dioralyte or similar)
- Spare prescription glasses/contact lenses
- Ear plugs, particularly if you are a light sleeper
Visa & Health
We will endeavour to keep this section up to date, but please visit https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/morocco.htm l (US citizens) or https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/morocco/entry-requirements (UK citizens) for further information.
To enter Morocco, a passport valid for the duration of your stay is required by all British, American, Canadian and EU nationals. However, the Moroccan Consulate General in London advise that your passport should be valid for at least 3 months on your date of entry to Morocco. If your passport does not meet this requirement you may face difficulties and you should check with the Moroccan authorities and your travel provider before travelling.
You should ensure that your passport is stamped when you enter the country. Some tourists have experienced difficulties leaving the country because their passport bears no entry stamp. Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay in Morocco. No additional period of validity beyond this is required.
Visas are not required by British, American, Canadian and EU nationals for stays in Morocco of up to three months.
Addresses of consulates
- Paris | Ambassade du Maroc
5, rue Le Tasse
Tél. : 01.45.20.69.35
- Ambassade de France au Maroc
1 rue Aguelmane Sidi Ali Agdal BP 602
Rabat - Chellah
Tél. : +212 5 37 27 66 00
Fax : +212 5 37 27 67 11
- Moroccan Consulate
97-99 Praed Street, Paddington
W2 1NT London
Tél. : +44 020 7724 0624
Malaria is very rare and present only in a few remote areas. Don't underestimate this tropical disease and take precautions. Buy repellent (preferably with 50% DEET), and sleep under a net.
Budget and money
• Banknotes 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 dirham
• Coins 1, 5, 10, 20 santimat; ½, 1, 2, 5, and 10 dirham
Telephone and jetlag
Roaming agreements exist with international mobile phone companies. Coverage is good in towns and cities, and across the west of Morocco, but a little more erratic east and further south.
Time zone: GMT
Did you know?
Did you know?
Our Moroccan Escapade is the ideal riding holiday for families or for group including non-riders, such as hen or stag parties. The lodge offers an incredible array of non-riding activities, as well as a beautiful pool, and you are sure to find something to do in addition to the riding. Activities include:
- Guided walks and trekking
- Mountain climbing
- Zipline (the biggest in Africa!)
- High ropes course
- Mountain biking
- Arts and crafts workshops
- Team building games
Some of these activities are at an additional and payable locally. Marrakesh is also 40 minutes away, and you may consider an extension to visit this beautiful and vibrant city! Contact us for more information.