Three nights at Finca los Domos. There are three private bungalows in dome style with AC, hotwater and private bathroom. There is a plunge pool. Upgrade to a 3*** hotel with a pool (Cerro Lodge) can be arranged, please see dates and prices.
2 nights at a family Eco-lodge just 10 minutes from Carara National Park. This small lodge offers 14 Bungalows and 8 Standard room – all with private en-suite bathrooms of which some feature a semi-open internal garden, swimming pool and a dining area.
2 night in rustic Cabanas.
2 nights at a standard Hotel.
Meals are varied and consist of local produce.
One litre of water a day is provided (additional water is available for purchase at all locations).
Dietary restrictions can be accommodated but please make sure to let us know before booking.
San Jose and surrounding areas have pleasant temperatures throughout the year, with cool nights and warm days. There’s little rain from December to March, and barely any in January and February. The rainy season runs from May to November, and the wettest months are usually September and October.
The sun frequently shines in the dry season.
Guide and local team
The team is composed by locals and one English speaking guide.
Tips are welcome but not expected. You should tip what you feel the service is worth and what you feel comfortable with. We would recommend around $50 per rider for the whole team.
- Equus Journeys strongly recommend that you wear a riding helmet and that you take your own to ensure a correct fit.
- Sunhat for when not riding
- Sunglasses - with a cord attached so they don't fly off when riding
- Thermals in case of cold weather (can also be worn at night)
- Down jacket or warm coat for the cold evenings
- Long sleeved shirts provide protection from the sun
- Lightweight fleece or jumper
- Warm polar fleece or equivalent (plus a spare in case one gets wet)
- Waterproof jacket - rain can be difficult to predict and it's better to be prepared (especially in the rainy season).
- Lightweight, comfortable riding trousers or jodhpurs - we recommend riding in them at home before taking them on holiday to ensure they don't rub
- Waterproof over trousers
- Casual clothes for the evenings (jeans or walking trousers)
- Thermals in case of cold weather
Hands and Feet
- Comfortable riding boots. We recommend short boots or hiking boots with half chaps but you may wish to take long chaps. We don't recommend taking your favourite long leather boots in case they get damaged
- Lightweight shoes or trainers for the evenings
- Good walking boots (or hybrid walking/riding boots)
- Several pairs of warm socks
- Gloves - your hands are particularly exposed to the sun, wind or rain whilst riding
Other useful items
- Swimsuit - for swimming/bathing in rivers
- Camera and high capacity memory card. Spare battery
- Bumbag for carrying your camera and small items whilst riding
- Headtorch or small torch for moving around camp at night - bring spare batteries and bulbs
- Ear plugs (for light sleepers)
- Water bottle - 2 x 1 litre, or equivalent
In your luggage
- Any liquids, such as shampoo, moisturiser, deodorant unless they are less than 100ml and all bottles can fit in a small, clear, plastic ziplock bag.
- Swiss army knife or equivalent
In your hand luggage
- Any valuables, such as your camera, ipod, ipad etc.
- Your riding hat
- Sunscreen and lip balm - should be high factor
- Insect repellent
- Any medication you regularly take
- Blister plasters in case of any rubs
- Antiseptic cream, plasters, aspirin, anti-histamine, insect-bite salve etc...
- Spare prescription glasses/contact lenses
- Eye drops
- Imodium or similar anti-diarrhoea medication
- Micropur or similar water purification tablets
- Re-hydration sachets
- Antiseptic wipes
- Handwash gel
- Toilet paper
- Backpacks cannot be worn whilst riding. We recommend a small bumbag or a coat with pockets so that you can carry small items with you during the day (camera, sunscreen, lipbalm etc)
- We recommend travelling in your riding boots and carrying your hat and some riding clothes in your hand luggage - then if your luggage goes astray you are still able to ride!