from 6 y.o
- Experience the fabulous scenery of British Colombia, just a few hours south of Banff National Park
- Varied activities, perfect for families and non-riders
- An excellent selection of horses for beginners to more experienced riders.
- Please contact us for your extension to Banff National Park and self-drive programs.
Day 1 1 : ARRIVE IN CRANBROOKThree Bars RanchFlight to Cranbrook, in British Columbia (via Vancouver or Calgary). Flights are not included but can be booked for you on request.
On arrival at the airport, you will be driven to the Ranch (approx. 15 min drive). You have time to settle and explore your cabin before meeting with your hosts and other guests over dinner.
Day 2 2 : RANCH - 2-5 hrs ridingThree Bars RanchAfter a copious breakfast, the staff will be waiting for you at the stables to introduce you to the horses. The stable manager will be sure to find the perfect horse for you, matching your riding abilities and expectations. Your horse will be yours for the duration of the stay (unless you'd prefer to change), giving you the opportunity to build a relationship with him.
In the morning, the wranglers bring the horses in from the pastures. After a morning in the saddle, you get back to the Ranch for lunch before heading out on your afternoon ride. Back at the Ranch in the afternoon where you may choose to relax with a beer at the saloon or at the spa.
IMPORTANT: Both the above and the following programme is provided as a guide, it is by no means exhaustive but reflects all of the activities in which you are able to participate.
Day 3 3 : RANCH - 2-5 hrs ridingThree Bars RanchAfter breakfast, you meet with your horse again for another trail ride across the beautiful countryside. Now that the wranglers know you better, the rythm will be a bit more pacey for those who want to. The Ranch is located between the mountains and the St Mary river, and the scenery is truly stunning! Back to the ranch in the afternoon for dinner and a good night's sleep.
Day 4 4 : RANCH - 2-5 hrs ridingThree Bars RanchYou may choose to go on another trail ride this morning or to enjoy other activities at the Ranch: the choice is yours. Families can ask for specific rides and children can choose to ride or to discover life on a ranch with educational activities (mini-farm). At the end of the day, enjoy some time off to relax around the pool before a BBQ dinner.
Day 5 5 : RANCH - 2-5 hrs ridingThree Bars RanchThe mountains are calling and are waiting to be explored on horseback! Depending on each group's preferences, you may ride into the mountains across the plateau or the river banks. After lunch, you are welcome to go on another ride or try your hand at fly-fishing, archery, or shooting.
Day 6 6 : RANCH - 2-5 hrs ridingThree Bars RanchToday is your last day on the Ranch. Today's ride may take you to the pine forests to discover the local wildlife and remarkable ecosystem. Lunch at the Ranch before your last trail ride in Canada. This evening, after dinner, a bonfire will be lit to enjoy smores and toasted marshmallows.
Day 7 7 : RANCH - CRANBROOK - DEPARTUREAfter breakfast, you are transferred to Cranbrook airport for your flight back home. If you are booking your own flights, please make sure to book a flight departing after 09:30 AM.
Dates & prices
- Rates a per person, based on two people sharing a double or twin standard room.
- The usual group size is 1 - 6 of international riders plus guide.
- Transfers are included and available from Cranbrook airport. First shuttle is 1:30 on day or arrival (please aim to arrive in the late afternoon at the latest), last shuttle is 11:30 am on day of departure.
- Non-riders welcome and benefit from a special rate - please contact us.
- Children aged 6-12 are welcome, with special discounts available (please contact us).
- If you sign up to the ride as a solo rider and there are no other riders likely to share your room, you will be charged a single room supplement of approx. £540/€625/$680 in the high season and £230/€275/$290 in the low season in 2023; or approx. £540/€625/$680 in the high season and £180/€210/$230 in the low season in 2024. You will then be reimbursed if a sharer is found for you at a later date.
- You can rent cowboy boots for CA$35 for the week
Activities included (depending on the season:
Unlimited guided horseback riding – every morning and afternoon (Mon-Fri).
Full multi-sport program.
Shooting sports (archery, clay pigeon and rim fire)
River Rafting (July and August only)
Guided hike , E-Bike tours & mapped hiking trails, & mountain biking.
Fly fishing equipment and unlimited access. fishing opens June 15th on the river.
River Rafting is not available in Spring or Fall (July and August only).
All ranch amenities - indoor heated swimming pool, hot tut, fitness facility & tennis.
Full evening entertainment program.
Additional activities that can be organised but are not included:
Guided fly fishing trips on the St. Mary’s River (Fishing is best mid July – Oct)
Massage by appointment at lodge.
Local Golf – 5 major – 18 hole courses within 20 minutes of the ranch
Private & semi-private riding lessons – ranch arena
Full service bar – Beer, wine list etc.
If you’re planning off ranch adventures you will need to rent a car.
The itinerary may be modified at anytime for security reasons, meteorological or events beyond our control such as blocked roads, rivers in flood, drought, strikes and local holidays. Equus Journeys, our local partners and their local guides will always strive to find the best solution and will alter the itinerary as needed.
The names of the hotels and accommodation are given for information only and depending on availability, they may be modified without notice and replaced by another of a similar standard.
Staff and guides
10% gratuity and 6,2% tax
Price doesn't include
Cancellation and travel insurance are not included in the above listed price. Please note that insurance is mandatory. We recommend taking out an insurance policy as soon as your trip is booked to cover you in case of cancellation
Departure Return Price without flights Status 19/05/2024 25/05/2024 £2,305 €2,605 $2,858Guaranteed departure Book now 26/05/2024 01/06/2024 £2,305 €2,605 $2,858Guaranteed departure Book now 02/06/2024 08/06/2024 £2,305 €2,605 $2,858Guaranteed departure Book now 09/06/2024 15/06/2024 £2,305 €2,605 $2,858Guaranteed departure Book now 16/06/2024 22/06/2024 £2,305 €2,605 $2,858Guaranteed departure Book now 23/06/2024 29/06/2024 £2,305 €2,605 $2,858Guaranteed departure Book now 30/06/2024 06/07/2024 £3,000 €3,390 $3,720Guaranteed departure Book now
Departure Return Price without flights Status 07/07/2024 13/07/2024 £3,000 €3,390 $3,720Guaranteed departure Book now 14/07/2024 20/07/2024 £3,000 €3,390 $3,720Guaranteed departure Book now 21/07/2024 27/07/2024 £3,000 €3,390 $3,720Guaranteed departure Book now 28/07/2024 03/08/2024 £3,000 €3,390 $3,720Guaranteed departure Book now 04/08/2024 10/08/2024 £3,000 €3,390 $3,720Guaranteed departure Book now 11/08/2024 17/08/2024 £3,000 €3,390 $3,720Guaranteed departure Book now 18/08/2024 24/08/2024 £3,000 €3,390 $3,720Guaranteed departure Book now 25/08/2024 31/08/2024 £2,305 €2,605 $2,858Guaranteed departure Book now
Departure Return Price without flights Status 01/09/2024 07/09/2024 £2,305 €2,605 $2,858Guaranteed departure Book now 08/09/2024 14/09/2024 £2,305 €2,605 $2,858Guaranteed departure Book now 15/09/2024 21/09/2024 £2,305 €2,605 $2,858Guaranteed departure Book now 22/09/2024 28/09/2024 £2,305 €2,605 $2,858Guaranteed departure Book now
Guide & local team
Minimum riding ability
Minimum riding ability
Weight limit: 270 lbs - 120 kg - 19 st
Tacking ability and participation
Trip conditions and Requested experience
Riders who are unable to mount unassisted from the ground may not be eligible for fast rides.
We recommend our riders to wear a helmet to the correct standard and you should bring your own to ensure a proper fit.
Families have the option of staying in bigger chalets that can accommodate up to 4 people. Please contact us.
Lunch: hot and cold options, salads, grilled meats, dessert
Dinner: American style, potatoes, meat, salads, bread, dessert, BBQ dinners or Mexican dinners...
Extra drinks can be purchased locally.
- Equus Journeys strongly recommend that you wear a riding helmet and that you take your own to ensure a correct fit. There are many lightweight options available nowadays. Helmets are mandatory for children.
- Sunhat for when not riding
- Sunglasses - with a cord attached so they don't fly off when riding
- Buff or bandana
- Long sleeved shirts provide protection from the sun and keep you cooler
- Lightweight fleece or jumper
- Warm fleece or jumper
- Waterproof jacket - it can rain and there are frequent thunderstorms
- Swimming costume - for the Jacuzzi
- Lightweight, comfortable riding trousers or jodhpurs - we recommend riding in them at home before taking them on holiday to ensure they don't rub
- Casual trousers for the evenings, such as jeans
Hands and Feet
- Comfortable riding boots. We recommend short boots with half chaps but you may wish to take long chaps as an extra layer against inclement weather. We don't recommend taking your favourite long leather boots in case they get damaged
- Trainers or equivalent light shoes for moving around the ranch in the evenings
- Several pairs of socks
- Gloves - your hands are particularly exposed to the sun.
- Casual clothes for the evening
- Pyjamas or nightdress
- Backpacks cannot be worn whilst riding. We recommend a small bumbag or a coat with pockets so that you can carry small items with you during the day (passport, camera, sunscreen, lip balm etc)
- We recommend travelling in your riding boots and carrying your hat and some riding clothes in your hand luggage - then if your luggage goes astray you are still able to ride!
Other useful items
- Camera and high capacity memory card. Spare battery
- Bumbag for carrying your camera and small items whilst riding you can put them in your saddlebag
- Ear plugs (for light sleepers)
In your hold luggage
- Any liquids, such as shampoo, moisturiser, deodorant unless they are less than 100ml and all bottles can fit in a small, clear, plastic ziplock bag.
In your hand luggage
- Any valuables, such as your camera, ipod, ipad etc.
- Travelling in your riding boots and carrying your hat and some riding clothes is highly recommended - then if your luggage goes astray you are still able to ride!
- Any medication you regularly take
- Sunscreen and lip balm - should be high factor
- Insect repellent, preferably containing deet
- Blister plasters in case of any rubs
- Antiseptic cream, plasters, aspirin, anti-histamine, insect-bite salve etc...
- Spare prescription glasses/contact lenses
- Rehydration sachets
- We recommend taking a copy of your passport and insurance documents with you just in case.
- First aid kit
- Saddle bags
- Fully equipped room, with towels, bed linen etc
- Free laundry service
- Travel light. It's a little known fact, but the lighter you pack, the better for the environment as heavy bags will produce higher emissions (when flying a plane or driving a car!).
- Reduce plastic waste. Take your favorite reusable bottle with you. Avoid single-use bags, cups, or straws.
- Preserve nature. Always take your rubbish with you during the ride and recycle them. Leave all the flowers or plants as you found them, and never get too close when observing wildlife. Make sure to use eco-friendly products such as body wash or laundry detergent (if camping) to protect both your skin and the environment.
- Choose your experiences carefully. Respect animal life by not participating in any activities that abuse wild animals (shows, elephant rides, etc.).
- Support local populations. Buy local handicrafts, be respectful of customs, and learn about the culture of local communities.
- Share! Raise awareness among your family and friends about sustainable tourism.
Did you know?
Did you know?
Banff National Park is Canada's oldest national park, established in 1885 in the Rocky Mountains. It is the third-oldest national park in the world and declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1984 due to its impressive scenic landscapes and wildlife. While riding in this breathtaking natural park, you will be able to see ancient glaciers, many crystal-clear lakes and maybe spot a few of the 53 species of mammals (elk, bighorn sheep, mountains goats, moose, bears and wolves) that roam the area. The Park is open all year round, with peak seasons being in July for the warm temperatures, and August for the possibility to see the Northern Lights.
This ranch holiday is only a few short hours away from Banff National Park. After your ranch vacation, why not spend a few extra days in Canada and explore this beautiful part of the country?