5 nights in beautiful farm lodges, situated in an ideal location to view the Northern lights. The lodges are in walking distance from the beach and are in an idyllic spot for relaxation. All rooms are en-suite and the lodges have a fully equipped kitchen with wood stove, living room with TV and an outdoor terrace. Wifi available.
An outdoor Jacuzzi is available at an additional cost.
Picnic or restaurant lunches – picnic lunches are brought to you by a support vehicle.
Two-course dinners at Laven Restaurant near the lodges.
Alcohol and extra drinks are not included but can be purchased locally as the restaurant is fully licensed.
Gimsoy experiences a maritime climate. The annual temperature is 7 ° C.
The highest average temperature in Gimsoy is 13 ° C in July and the lowest is 2 ° C in January. The weather and climate of Gimsoy are suitable for winter sports. Snow can fall from September to May.
The weather can change very quickly and there can be real temperature variations in a very short period of time. In the summer season between May and July it is possible to experience the midnight sun.
Depending on the time of year, you could ride under the Northern lights (September to mid April - all sightings are weather dependent) or the midnight sun from late May to mid July.
Guide and local team
Frode and Lisa will be your guides. Frode grew up on a farm and has great knowledge and expertise. He loves his horses, and knows each of their individual characters. He speaks Norwegian, English and German.
A like to Frode, Lisa is an enthusiastic rider with extensive knowledge the local terrain. She has been passionate about horses since a young age and will be happy to welcome you in Norway. She speaks Norwegian and English.
Tips are not mandatory but very welcome if you are pleased with the service provided.
Please adapt this list to your departure date and let us know if you have any doubts.
- A riding helmet is mandatory. Helmet makers (GPA, HKM, LAS Helmets, Lamicell, Troxel, Equithème) now offer horse-riding helmets that are ventilated, strong, light and comfortable.
- Sunhat: cap for when not riding
- Sunglasses - with a cord attached so they don't fly off when riding
- Buff or bandana for protecting your neck and face from the sun and dust
- Thermals in case of cold weather (long or short-sleeved T-shirts)
- Short or long-sleeved cotton shirts (to provide protection from the sun) or T-shirt in a quick-drying material
- Lightweight fleece or jumper
- Warm polar fleece or equivalent (plus a spare in case one gets wet)
- Warm Goretex-style jacket (water-proof and breathable)
- 2 pairs of jodhpurs or long leather trousers
- 1 change of trousers (riding trousers or jeans)
- 1 pair of waterproof over trousers
- A swim suit may be useful
- Cotton or synthetic underwear (non-irritant)
Hands and feet
- 1 pair Comfortable riding boots. We recommend short boots with half chaps but you may wish to take long chaps or long boots.
- Lightweight shoes or trainers for the evenings
- Several pairs of socks
- Gloves - your hands are particularly exposed to the sun, wind or rain whilst riding
Other useful items
- Small bumbag to be worn whilst riding
- A soothing cream may be useful to treat areas irritated by long hours in the saddle
- Backpacks are not to be worn whilst riding. Everything should be kept either in pockets or in a bumbag : lip balm, sun screen, small camera, glasses, rope etc.
- Water bottle (1.5 litres or 2 equivalent)
- Headtorch or small torch for moving around at night - bring spare batteries and bulbs (necessary in winter to walk to the restaurant)
- Ear plugs (may be useful)
- Camera and high capacity memory card. Spare battery
- Waterproof bags for your camera and phone
- Sunscreen and lip balm - should be high factor
- Insect repellent - mosquito spray is essential in the summer
- Any medication you regularly take
- Blister plasters in case of any rubs
- Antiseptic cream, plasters, aspirin, anti-histamine, insect-bite salve etc..
- 10cm wide bandage
- Spare prescription glasses/contact lenses
- Eye drops
- Imodium or similar anti-diarrhoea medication
- Re-hydration sachets
- Antiseptic wipes
- Handwash gel
- We recommend taking a copy of your passport and insurance documents with you in case you lose your originals
- In your hand luggage carry any valuables, such as your camera, ipod, ipad etc.
- Travelling in your riding boots and carrying your hat and some riding clothes is highly recommended - then if your luggage goes astray you are still able to ride!