You will be staying in comfortable and welcoming guest houses and country houses. Double rooms with either private or shared bathroom.
All meals are provided on this trail.
Breakfast and dinner will be taken at the guest houses using typical local produce. Il Cornacchino is known for its delicious Italian food and you except to sample typical Tuscan dishes. Wine is included at dinner in reasonable amounts when staying at Il Cornacchino.
Lunch: Picnic during the trail. The picnics will be prepared in the morning and taken to the destination by mini-bus or carried in the saddlebags.
Vegetarian diets and specific requirements can be accommodation with advance notice.
Tuscany has a Mediterranean climate with hot summers, cold winters and a rainy season from the start of autumn to the beginning of winter. The months that are the most humid are October and December - often seeing heavy rain that can last for several days. However, autumn and in spring, it is still likely that it will be hot during the day, with a lot of sunny days. July and August are the hottest and driest months.
Guide and local team
Fabio has been raising, breaking in and training horses for over 30 years. He has made a reputation for himself through his skills breaking in young horses as well as re-educating, so-called, problem horses. Specialised in outdoor western riding; it is Fabio who supervises the horses' care and acts as blacksmith, as well as teaching horse riding and the taking care of the general management of the farm.
The team are all English speakers.
Tipping is not mandatory, however it is left at your discretion.
- A riding helmet is strongly recommended and mandatory for minors. Helmet makers (GPA, HKM, LAS Helmets, Lamicell, Troxel, Equithème) now offer horse-riding helmets that are ventilated, strong, light and comfortable.
- Sunhat: cap for when not riding
- Sunglasses - with a cord attached so they don't fly off when riding
- Buff or bandana for protecting your neck and face from the sun and dust
- Short or long-sleeved shirts (to provide protection from the sun) or T-shirt in a quick-drying material
- Lightweight fleece or jumper.
- Warm Goretex-style jacket (water-proof and breathable) in case of rain
- 2 pairs of riding trousers
- 1 change of trousers (riding trousers or jeans)
- 1 pair of waterproof over trousers.
- A bathing suit may be useful
- Cotton or synthetic underwear (non-irritant)
Hands and feet
- 1 pair Comfortable riding boots. We recommend short boots with half chaps but you may wish to take long chaps or long boots.
- 1 pair of sandals
- Lightweight shoes or trainers for the evenings
- Several pairs of socks
- Gloves - your hands are particularly exposed to the sun, wind or rain whilst riding
Other useful items
- Small bumbag to be worn whilst riding
- A soothing cream may be useful to treat areas irritated by long hours in the saddle
- Backpacks are not to be worn whilst riding. Everything should be kept either in pockets or in a bumbag : lip balm, sun screen, small camera, glasses, rope etc.
- Ear plugs (may be useful)
- Camera and high capacity memory card. Spare battery
- Water Bottle (1.5 litres or 2 equivalent)
- Sunscreen and lip balm - should be high factor
- Insect repellent
- Any medication you regularly take
- Vitamin C tablets
- Blister plasters in case of any rubs
- Antiseptic cream, plasters, aspirin, anti-histamine, insect-bite salve etc..
- 10cm wide bandage
- Spare prescription glasses/contact lenses
- Eye drops
- Imodium or similar anti-diarrhoea medication
- Re-hydration sachets
- Antiseptic wipes
- Handwash gel
- Any liquids, such as shampoo, moisturiser, deodorant over 100ml and all bottles can be decanted into small, clear, plastic zip-lock bags. We recommend biodegradable washing products where possible.
- We recommend taking a copy of your passport and insurance documents with you in case you lose your originals
- In your hand luggage carry any valuables, such as your camera, iPod, iPad etc.
- Travelling in your riding boots and carrying your hat and some riding clothes is highly recommended - then if your luggage goes astray you are still able to ride!